Thursday 12 October 2017

Webwood Falls and Stops Along the Way

This past Thanksgiving weekend gave me so many things to be thankful for as we gathered with family and shared a fantastic thanksgiving meal.  But getting from the table to the trail was my favourite part of the weekend.

Thanksgiving Monday was this amazing, unseasonably warm and sunny day which enticed everyone to get out and enjoy.  I took full advantage of the gift that was this gorgeous day, heading out for a drive and with no particular place to go I would stop each time I saw some scene that inspired me and I had to capture.



I took in the view from the Top of Talisman.


My favourite barn along Grey Road 7.


I loved this old truck for sale.

Living in the moment and letting the day take me where it may, I turned onto Sideroad 25 and just over the bridge I stopped to experience the trails at Webwood Falls.  The trail to the viewing deck built by the Bruce Trail Conservancy is easily accessed from the road and provides a nice vantage point of this cascading waterfall.


If you follow along on Map 28 of the Bruce Trail there is a great Side Trail loop for you to take, making it easy for parking in the same spot where you start and end your hike, which is perfect for a family hike.

There once stood a mill here that served the community, the remains of which are still visible with the stone wall that still stands just above the falls.


On the other side of the falls stands the remnants of a shed which has much more significance than just an old charming building.  It is a Barn Swallow Nest Rehabilitation project where artificial nest cups have been placed inside the shed to encourage nesting of the Bran Swallow, who's numbers have declined in the area.  As a kid we had these birds nesting at our cottage and I would hate to see them disappear from the area.  There is an information sheet on the outside of the shed, please follow the request and do not enter the structure, I took these photos standing outside.




Webwood Falls and the surrounding lands were generously donated by James Horwood and is actually a nature reserve, protecting the diverse habitat with over 200 plant and fauna species.  Jim named the falls in memory of his parents and close to this commerative plaque you can see the remnants of the original homestead perennial garden still evident surrounding the trail as well as a hand water pump. It just makes me picture Mrs. Horwood tending to her garden which makes it so special.


Having read about the family donation it made me feel so honoured to be enjoying the beautiful trail that day.  On a day of Thanksgiving it seemed so fitting to be at Webwood Falls and I was very thankful that Mr. Horwood gave the gift of these lands for all of us to explore and enjoy.  I encourage you to get out and share is his gift if you have not already been.



The view of the falls from the other side of the trail.



Some of the plant life that was thriving.



A friend I found along the trail.


The trees guarding the trail.



No comments:

Post a Comment